Ooty is well known as a honeymoon destination in south India. It is a hill station in Nilgiri hills in the Tamil Nadu state of India.
Covered with eucalyptus and pine trees which gives a woody smell of forest that will make you forgot all your worries.
It was our first marriage anniversary when we decided to take a trip as a couple instead of giving a big bash party. it was in May month which is the best time to visit hill stations in India.
plan your trip in one or two months in advance in season time i.e from March to June.
Our planning started with online research, hotels, best places to visit and the best restaurants to eat.
HOW TO REACH:
If you are planning to travel from Chennai, Nilgiri express is the best option by train. It’s an overnight journey and will take you to Mettupalayam, the nearest railway station to Ooty, from here you can opt a toy train or a cab.
If you opt for a flight the nearest airport is the Coimbatore airport and from here you can have a cab or bus to reach Ooty.
WHERE TO STAY:
From low budget to high there is a number of options all across Ooty whether you want a hill view, city view or a garden view here are our picks:
- Garden Manor: This hotel consists of British era look and is a good choice if you are looking for a good hotel in the main city area with an average budget.
Plus point of this hotel is a rooftop restaurant which gives a mesmerizing city view.
Holiday home: If you are a central government or state govt employee you can take a benefit of this lovely spacious guest house just in front of Ooty railway station.
Airbnb: Booking an apartment or a resort with Airbnb is another great choice.
PLACES TO VISIT:
Here is the list of the places which are worth going, and you do not need to explore each and everything which is mentioned online.
- Botanical garden: it’s a splendid garden with a lot of variety of plants and flower in 22-hectare area. you can find rare species of trees and can spot fossil tree which is 20 million age-old; or can gaze the beauty of garden by lying on the garden, in addition to that you can also buy a plant like a hydrangea which is my favorite.
I would suggest visiting the garden on day 1 itself as it is located in the middle of the main city so by the evening you can explore the city as well.
- Timings: Monday-Sunday: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- Entry fee: adults- Rs 30 per person, children 5-10 age –Rs 15, children below 5 – no fee.
- Camera fee: vedio-Rs100, still camera-Rs 50.
- Doddabeta peak:
6.7 km from the main city is the highest point in the southern region of India you can easily spend hours gazing the beauty of Nilgiri where cloud array themselves and sunrays peak through them, one needs the patience to go to observation tower due to the long queue.
I would recommend trying warm lemon tea at doddabeta campus local shop.
- Timing: Monday-Sunday :9:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- Entry Fees: adults Rs 6 per Person, Children below 5-NO fee.
- Camera Fees: video-Rs50, still camera-Rs 10.
- 6 mile and 9 miles or shooting point:
Many movies were shot in this scenic place one can admire the view with horse riding, the name 6 mile and 9 mile suggests the distance from Ooty city, it is the best place to relax and spend a day.
Here plastic bottle and food are not allowed because of the cleaning purpose so, leave your stuff in your vehicle only.
- Timing: Monday-Sunday:8:00 am to 7:00 pm.
- Fees: No Fees.
- Camera Fees: No Fees.
- Pykara waterfall:
Pykara waterfall is another tourist attraction in pykara village located 19km from Ooty, it is well protected by a fence from a safety point of view but you can enjoy boating in pykara reservoir.
As it is a km away from parking spot you can go by walking or there ana a electrical vehicle option too, do not forget to stump into some Mirchi baji and banana baji in a local shop nearby parking as they are the best you can have.
- Timing: Monday-Friday: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm, Saturday – Sunday :9:00 am to 6:30 pm
- Camera Fees: No Fees.
- Ooty Lake:
You can visit if you have spare time and can enjoy the boating but I will refer not to do as city wastewater is discarded in this lake it is not very pleasant to enjoy the boating.
- Tea factory:
The area around Ooty is covered with lush green tea and coffee plantation, there is a number of factories around Ooty but tea estate viewpoint is open for tourist, where you can see the process of making tea.
And can buy some freshly packed, from the factory itself.
- Timing: Monday-Sunday: 9:00 am to 5:30 pm
- Entrance Fees: Adults Rs.10 per Person, Children- Rs.3, below 5 years No Fees
- Camera Fees: Camera Rs 10/-
- Pine forest:
Lush green 3 to 80 meters tall pine tress will make you remember the romantic scene of Bollywood movies, it’s a must visit to experience the forest with woody rainy smell that will mesmerize you to stay longer under the shadow of trees.
- Timing: Monday-Sunday: Any Time
- Fees: No Fees
- Camera Fees: No Fees.
Do not forget to get handmade chocolate from kings chocolate as they are the best in the town.
- Earl’s street Havelock road, kings cliff hotel.
- Place to bee, 176/A club road opp hill bunk petrol pump.